I Just Bought a New Home with Old Windows. Do I Need to Update Them?
If the home you just purchased is more than 20 years old, it may be in need of new windows. Old windows can put your home at higher risk for burglary, water, or wind damage, and inflate your electricity bill. Following are some considerations to help you decide if your home may need new windows:
• Do you feel a breeze when you are near the windows or see your window coverings rustle? If so, this means that your windows are not air-tight. This is going to be an especially important issue to resolve before hurricane season starts.
• Do your windows open and close easily? If they tend to stick or you need to use a significant amount of strength to open or close them, that is a sign that they may be past their prime. Windows should open effortlessly – it should not feel like a workout to open them.
• Do your window locks work? Over time, they can become worn out or may not lock any more if the windows have swollen. Your family needs locking windows for their own safety.
• Are the window frames or sills soft or wet? This is a telltale sign that the windows are no longer water-tight and your home is suffering from water damage.
• Do you see any cracks in your windows? Many antique homes have single-pane windows, which are prone to cracking, allowing heat, wind, and water into your home.
• Do you see condensation between the panes of double-pane windows? This means that the windows are no longer sealed and are not providing the insulation that your home needs.
• Do your windows feel hot if you touch them? Modern, insulated windows should feel room temperature to the touch.
• Do you hear a lot of outdoor noise while inside your house? This could mean that your windows are not properly sealed. It could also mean that your windows lack modern soundproofing features.
What Are the Benefits of Upgrading My Windows?
Comfort. Modern hurricane impact windows soundproof your home so the outside noise stays outside. They also prevent the hot and humid Florida air from entering your home, enhancing your family’s comfort.
Protection. Hurricane impact windows provide the highest possible level of protection against wind and water damage. Even during the most violent of storms, no hurricane shutters are needed, and not a drop of water will enter into your home from the windows. Hurricane impact windows also protect your home everyday against theft. The windows are nearly impenetrable, providing safety and peace of mind for your family.
Lower Energy Costs. Since hurricane impact windows have such effective insulation, you can save money on your air conditioning bills.
If you recently purchased a new home and are wondering if you should upgrade your windows, contact CitiQuiet Windows and Doors. We will come to your home, inspect each of your windows, and make a recommendation if your windows are in need of an upgrade.
Since 2012, CitiQuiet Windows and Doors has been engineering and installing high-quality impact windows, doors, and shutters for residential and commercial buildings throughout Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade Counties.
Based in Boca Raton, CitiQuiet Windows and Doors offers a turnkey service to clients including initial design, engineering, and permitting, installation and finish work. From elegant French doors to hurricane impact-resistant windows and sliding glass doors, CitiQuiet Windows and Doors has your solution.
At CitiQuiet Windows and Doors, we carry only the highest-quality products from the nation’s top manufacturers – and we stand behind everything we sell. For a free estimate, contact CitiQuiet Windows and Doors at 561-241-9463, visit us at citiquiethurricanewindows.com, or stop by the showroom today at 6530 West Rogers Circle, Suite 29, Boca Raton, FL 33487.
With an A+ rating from Better Business Bureau (BBB), CitiQuiet Windows and Doors consistently strives to exceed customer expectations.