Removing Poisonous Lead Paint Windows from your Home
If your house was built prior to 1978 and still has its original windows in place, chances are they contain a dangerous and poisonous lead paint base that can be harmful to your health. Lead can be particularly damaging for pregnant women and small children so take a moment to seriously evaluate replacing the old windows and doors in your home to maintain a safe and healthy environment.
In 1977, the Consumer Product Safety Commission banned the use of any lead paint within residential and public buildings to reduce the risk of lead poisoning in children and others. Exposure to lead paint can cause nervous system damage, stunted growth, kidney damage and delayed development. Because of the sweet taste of lead, children may feel compelled to ingest chips of paint that contain lead, leading to major hazards. Adults can suffer from lead-related issues as well, mainly dealing with reproductive health. Because lead is considered a possible and likely carcinogen, high levels of exposure can even lead to death.
Because lead is such a danger, the EPA now requires contractors to be trained and certified before they can perform any renovation, repair or painting on projects that may have previously been treated with lead-based paint. If you suspect that your old windows may be hazardous to your health, now is the best time to consider swapping them out for much healthier and efficient options. It’s long been stated that improving and replacing your windows and doors is one of the most significant investments you can make on your home.
Use this opportunity to make your home more energy efficient and safer, overall. While some may find that old and antique homes contain a classic charm with old and preserved components like door frames, it’s also important to keep in mind that 40 years ago health standards were very different and we have come a long way in understanding what makes a home safe and sound for all those inside of it.
Call today for an estimate and to find out the state of your windows!