Tips on Maintaining your Storm Resistant Windows
Once you’ve made the wise decision to install storm resistant windows in your home, it’s important to make sure you maintain them properly to ensure a long lifespan of protection. Prior to installation we make sure that our windows are in perfect condition with no scratches or cracks, and we want to help our customers maintain proper care for their new windows for many years to come.
Many of our customers reach out to ask us about the best ways to maintain their newly installed storm resistant windows, especially when it comes to maintenance and cleaning. The most common questions have to do with specific cleaners and methods to get their windows sparkly clean from the inside and out. Since certain window options come with specific coatings, it’s important to keep in mind that these windows need to be cleaned one way from the inside and a different way from the exterior.
We’ve come up with a list of Dos and Don’ts when it comes to newly installed storm resistant windows that may help you ensure the longevity and performance of these high quality upgrades in your home.
· Makes sure to remove dirt or grit as soon as possible. Residue that sits on windows can set and become harder to remove over time, running the risk of scratching.
· Be mindful when cleaning the exterior of your windows. Be gentle when using brushes, tools or cleaners on the coated glass.
· Don’t scrape baked on dirt or residue. Soak first before resorting to harsher methods.
· Use only non-abrasive cleaning solution with a squeegee.
· Do not allow cleaning solutions to sit on window sills. This can damage the sealant, gaskets or frames.
· Avoid cleaning during direct sunlight exposure.
· Dry the glass once it has been cleaned with a soft rag or towel.
· Never use a “Magic Eraser” or similar micro-sponges on coated surfaces. These cause tiny abrasions that will permanently scratch your windows.
Feel free to contact us with any questions you may have about your new storm-resistant windows, we would be happy to help provide you with answers to ensure the proper care of your new investment.